Pulled into Bruges, ready for a nice bed. Decided to stay at Martin’s Brugge.
Posh hotel, which is why they charge 25euros a day for parking. And no, not even a BMW bike can park in their empty courtyard. Staff did recommend a nearby municipal underground parking spot, that was very reasonable
My room was located above a chocolate shop, across the street from another. The horror! hahaha.
Stayed for a couple of days. Highlights?
(1) Marzipan is EVERYWHERE! I should have been warned 😉
(2) Wales nearly beating England in the Euros – good chat with the Welsh supporters.
(3) Lady cop trying (and failing badly) to arrest 30+ students who were involved in a boat race. Took me back to my student days. The boat race, not the cop. We had races with similar home-made craft, that may/may not have resembled a boat, and that may/may not have floated 🙂
(4) Chip Museum. Well, Belgium did invent ‘chips’ or ‘French fries’, but get credit only for excellent beers and chocolate.
(5) Romance in the air! So many couples holding hands, or walking arm-in-arm, or arms around each other.
And the weather was nice.
Guess that there are not too many rolling hills to up and down on. But you definitely have to enjoy the pastries, oh and the lace. Need new doilies?